Tuesday, September 18, 2007

We're BAaack!!!!

Yep! We are back. Last week, Joel and I headed to Colorado Springs for his ten year college reunion! My parents drove over from MS to keep the kids while we were gone. We left on Wednesday and stayed until Sunday.

When we landed in CO, Joel went to get our rental car. When he got there, he was told they didn't have any more cars!!! OK...HOW in the world can you make a reservation (3 MONTHS IN ADVANCE) to rent a car and NOT have any cars????? Thank goodness we ran into a friend who gave us a ride to the hotel. We didn't get a car until Thursday morning! Joel was way too nice to these people. When we went to pick up the car that morning, he turned to me and said, "Don't say anything! Let me do all the talking." He knew I was furious!

Thursday morning, Joel and I went horseback riding near the Broadmoor Hotel. I decided that we should look for a house in that neighborhood. We drove past one for sale and I jumped out to get the flyer. Yeah...right!!! $1,497,000.00!!!! I quickly decided that the house was just not good enough for my family! But the horseback riding was awesome! The weather was perfect, the trees were changing, but my butt was sore for the rest of the weekend!

Thursday night we went to the Academy/ TCU game. I am usually not a sports fan. But being at a game is so different than watching them on TV. The game was so boring at first. The home team was terrible! I was ready to leave by half time. But I am so glad we didn't! In the last 5 minutes the Falcons tied the score and went into overtime, then ended up winning the game!

Friday, I went with Joel to tour the Academy. He took me around to see his old rooms and squadron and all the other "fun" things there. The cadets were on campus and having some sort of training and it was really neat to see some of the things that they were required to do in college. Of course, I didn't think it was much different from when I was a pledge in college. He told me how the freshmen had to walk on this certain sidewalk....so did I. How they had to eat certain things...so did I. How they had to speak to upper classmen...so did I. How they had to learn names of previous commanders...well...we didn't have commanders, but we did have to learn a whole lot of names!!!! No really, even though there are some parallels in what he had to do and what I did, I know that what the Academy does and what the "W" does is totally
different. But it was fun to compare!
My best friend, roommate, and maid of honor, Angela was also there. After lunch on Friday we headed out to do some shopping and get pampered for the Friday night dinner. I don't think I have ever bought so many dresses for one event. I had FIVE dresses to choose from and didn't make up my mind until 5 minutes before walking out the door. But it was so good to see Angela again and to reminisce about the good ole days.

Friday night we had the social. It was fun to dress up and to meet Joel's classmates. But the tickets were way over priced!!! We paid $45 a piece for a round table, a small salad, steak that was over done and fish that had no flavor. No music. No dancing. And a cash bar! I mean really. What kind of function is that?

Saturday, we (meaning me and four men!) headed up to Breckenridge for Oktoberfest. By this time, I was exhausted. We are usually in the bed by 9:30, no later than 10pm, and these boys kept me out every night past midnight!!! And my body clock is used to getting up at 6am. So I was beat. But we had fun! DJ hasn't changed a bit, and I love it! Ray is getting married next April (which we are looking forward to), and Phatty and Sara and expecting a little boy (already have a precious girl) in November. But they are still fun to be around!

Sunday was the last day of our trip and Joel and I just drove around looking at land and houses. If you didn't know this already, we would love to live in CO one day. But right now our home is in SA, TX! And we were anxious to get back home to our beautiful babies. Mom and Dad had fun keeping the kids for us and the kids had a ball with them too!

Now, to catch up on laundry and all the things I missed out on while I was gone!!





5 comments:

Vicki said...

Laundry is over rated, just go buy new! While you're at it, just buy a house in CO too! Sounds like a wonderful trip, and it makes me feel really old to think this could be 10 years!

Katie said...

Those pictures are AWESOME! You guys look totally great--love the dresses and, of course, the scenery!

I miss Colorado. I hope y'all are able to move there someday and we can come visit you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela and Joel and kids. You guys look great and the kids are getting so big. We are back in Salalah for another year and are talking of another. We moved into a huge villa a walk from the schools. Adam rides his bike back and forth. Nicholas has started at the Indian play school. He got a wee cold so he's home today. But likes it. Chris has moved colleges and likes it much better. I am still busy with yoga and tennis and volunteering at school for french and gymnastics. It's a great life.

Jenna Stitzel said...

HOW FUN! You look amazing Angela! Joel, you clean up nicly too! :) Can't wait to get to TX....NEXT WEEKEND!!! YeeHAW!

The Quinn Report said...

I love your dress! Is it from White House Black Market by chance? You look beautiful, as always!!

Blog Archive