Thursday, August 09, 2007

Less than two weeks....

Less than two weeks until Katheryn starts school. She is very excited about starting kindergarten. We went yesterday to get her uniforms and she had to try them on again when we got home. After she put them on she said, "Mom, now I am a real kindergartner." "Yes, Yes, I know, honey. Don't remind me that you are growing up." Hey, I want my kids to grow up, but I want them to do it slowly. This past year, Katheryn seemed to have taken some growth hormone in height and maturity. After declaring that she was truly ready for school, she managed to changed Luke's diaper, wash the dinner dishes, and give herself and Claire a bath. Sounds like she could be a good nanny. Maybe, I'll keep her home and put her to more work.

This past week, we have been changing our nighty routine. Through out the summer, bedtime has been anywhere from 8:30-9:00. Being so far west in central time zone keeps the sun up until 9:30. Also, naptime/rest time is a must (for me at least). Claire has been "bucking the system" lately and playing all through naptime. That doesn't bother me. As long as she is in her room being "quiet", I will take it. But Katheryn will fall asleep, even through Claire's talking to her dolls and "reading" her stories. And if Katheryn sleeps during the day, she will be up until 10:30 or 11 at
night.

Katheryn- knock knock knock
Mommy- Yes????
Katheryn-Mommy, Ican't sleep.
Mommy- Get back in your bed honey, I'm talking to Daddy. I'll come check on you in a minute.
Pause....
Katheryn-No you're not. I don't hear anything!

So, Katheryn is NOT allowed to sleep during the day. There is still rest time. Each in their own secluded place with books and selected toys for a certain amount of time in the afternoon. Bedtime is now at 7:30, and the kids are worn out by then and go right to sleep. Most of the time. Once school starts Katheryn won't have rest time anyway as school doesn't get out until 3pm. Yikes!

Claire will be attending a Kid's day out program either one or two days a week from 9-12. I can't decide. My only reason for putting her in the extra day is because she will be starting K4 next year, and K4 is 5 days a week. I thought it might make the transition easier (on both of us).

Luke will be with me all week. I am not ready to "part" with him yet. It's amazing how the dynamics change when one of the kids are away. And it's amazing how much more I can get done. Maybe I can master the art of laundry this year. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate laundry?

3 comments:

Vicki said...

It just doesn't seem possible, does it??? I think we just met you and decided to keep you, and so where did these children come from and how did they grow up and get ready to start school??? You're a great mom, Angela, don't worry about the laundry!

Katie said...

Wow. Kindergarten? That is so shocking. I can't believe she can wash dishes already, too. What the heck???

Apparently, mother's day out programs DO NOT EXIST up here. I'm not kidding. I ask all the moms I meet and they just give me a blank look. Strange.

We have our washer and dryer up on the second floor with the bedrooms and I have to say that it has totally changed laundry for me. I am still always behind, but not nearly as bad. What I HATE doing is mopping. Hate. Hate. Hate.

Bruce, Tamara, Lolo & Echo said...

Happy Anniversary! Lolo starts "American Kindergarten" in a few weeks. She'll be gone close to 8 hours a day...yikes...I mean Wahoo!... I think. Thought I had a handle on laundry until we adopted our Saint Bernard..suddenly the laundry monster has reared it's ugly head again. I don't mind washing and drying but putting all the clothes away is another matter altogether. Don't mind mopping now that I have a Swiffer mop. Lolo actually prefers to do the mopping now.

Blog Archive