Saturday, July 08, 2006

The kahreef is here now (monsoon season) and the sky is overcast and it is drizzly. Kind of nice for a change. We get to go outside more since the sun isn't so harsh. There will be a huge festival starting next week with lots of vendors. The kahreef brings lots of people from other countries to enjoy the weather which bring me to this story....
I just read this book called 'Burned Alive" about a girl from the west bank who escaped an honor killing. Women in some Muslim countries are usually treated so badly. Even worse than animals at times.( I do know that Oman has a lot more respect for the women.) But this book really shows the inside of a some what "normal" family and what it is like. (HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. Easy read). Men and boys are allowed to do just about anything they want without any sort of explanation. So...like I said, there are more people from different countries here at the resort we are living at. Some are staying in the villas along side us. I took the girls outside the other and they walked on ahead of me while I stopped to chat with some other people I knew. While we were talking, a beautiful arab girl, about 9 years old, walked past us and headed toward the villa right behind ours. When she got closer, her dad came barreling out of the villa and started yelling at her and then starting beating her!!!! BEATING! Kicking and boxing her ears.Right in the open with us standing there. I can't understand arabic so I don't know why he was doing this. To me, there is no offense that would amount to this much punishment! It was horrid! HORRID! I was so sick to my stomach!!! I have always felt safe here, but now with more visitors coming from different countries and after seeing that I will be a lot more careful. I wanted to say something, but what do you say? It is socially acceptable in some countries. I know children and women get abused in our country, but it is a crime and people are SUPPOSE to go to jail. I tell you, I was so shaken by this! In Oman, children are treasured and very well received, no matter if they are boys of girls. I do know this family is NOT from here.

1 comment:

Jenna Stitzel said...

SO SAD...I'm sorry you had to see that. Say a prayer...

Blog Archive