Monday, May 22, 2006

The first day of travels we left Salalah and drove an hour to Thumrait to catch the RAFO flight to Muscat. It was my first experience on a military flight. We were in actual jump seats! There were other families on board. The men get to board first and sit on one side of the plane. The women and children go last and sit on the other side of the plane. I was the only woman traveling on that plane without a burka! Once we landed in Muscat, the men get off first and are transported to the terminal on one bus. Then the women and children board a different bus and go to the terminal. Very interesting experience for me. Even though I respect the culture here, there are a lot of things I don't understand. We stayed in Muscat all day! We were able to have a short visit with some friends (Kevin and Erin) we made in the beginning of our Oman adventures. Then we were off to the Muscat airport to depart once again. We flew from Muscat to Qatar and had a 5 hour lay-over!!! The picture above is of the girls taking a snooze before our 7 hour flight to Frankfurt!
We landed in Frankfurt at 7 am. Got a rental car and drove to Ramstien (sp?). Along the way I kept seeing this sign . It made me laugh when Joel told me it meant "Exit"! You may not find it as funny as we did, but that goes to show our thought process and how much we think alike.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

That is strange about the segregation - different sides of the airplane and separate buses. I wonder why that is done? I bet there are separate bathrooms too:)
What a sweet picture of the girls sleeping.
Please tell us more!

Katie said...

Ausfahrt...BWAH HA HA HA HA HA! :)

Joel and Angela said...

I have learned to be more submissive! I follow Joel now with my head down, but find it very difficult when he has an ausfahrt.
Naw! Just kidding! Oman is a little bit more tolerant than other mid east countries. I have seen women argue with the men. The men are always polite to me. I haven't felt strange or awkward around the men or women here. When we got off the plane yesterday. There was one other lady on with me. We we got off, she wouldn't walk in front of Joel. Even after he motioned for her to pass. I would like to befriend an Omani lady here, but haven't had the chance to yet since we live on the resort. You obesevation is generally correct though.

Anonymous said...

For some reason, there are more comments under this entry than others....! :D

Blog Archive