Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Encouraging Good Habits

School is back in session at the DeBoer house. The Christmas break went by so fast I hardly remember it. I still haven't sent a family update!! I have to do it because I order 200 family pictures and I KNOW you want one for you refrigerator!

I digress.

Studies show that children learn more by example than anything else. Actually, I don't really know if there was a study about that, but I have been observing it and studying it for almost 8 years now. I have had success in some areas. Ya know. Please. Thank you. Flush the potty. Wash your hands. Brush your teeth. Make up your bed..... we are still working on that. And I have had success with some bad ones.


But tell me. How do you teach your child to pick up their toys after they are finished playing with them? Really, I don't leave my toys out. When I am done with the Kitchen Aid, it goes back under the counter. My hairdryer goes back under the sink. REALLY! How hard can it be to put the dolly back in the dolly box? Not in the pony box...the dolly box. I feel like I make it easy for them. We even have labels on the boxes!!!!

And how many books do you need to get off of the shelf at one time? I am not talking about my one year old! I really hate to nag about this one because I WANT them to read books. But seriously....15 books at one time is a bit much. And I KNOW your not reading them all!

Sometimes I get so tired of telling them to come back and pick up what they got out. I wonder what our house would look like if I just never said anything and never picked up what the kids left out. Hmmmmmmm.

Is it me? Is it being a child? Is it their personalities?

3 comments:

Carol said...

Uh, no other comments? Hmmm. . .
I remember labels! I remember stacks of clean clothes in the dirty clothes hamper. I remember charts of chores, and I think I still have some of them! Most homeschool moms find out that change is the most constant thing about any area of teaching children - and that's good. Some do well with one learning style, others do better with another. Mom-teachers are learning styles, thus the change is the result of asking the question, "How can this work better?"
That's the question I asked the Lord a thousand times when teaching Thomas to read in spite of his dyslexic tendencies. Yes! The answer comes! Yes! It's good to ask!
Ephesians 1:17 - I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.
This is where I got my answers, and you will discover things here, too, no other mom has before, because each one of your children need an approach catered to their own personalities. But, first, rest, relax, and trust that He does have an answer for you.
1 Peter 4:8 - Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
With this, remember to sit in the middle of a pile of books & find joy in them right along with Claire. Take time to play - their way.
And, yes!, go for your Starbucks! (And remember how many coffee shops I frequented when you were growing up!!)
I am sooo proud of you!!
I love you,
MOM

Joel and Angela said...

Thanks, Mom!

Vicki said...

If you write a book I will buy it and give it to everyone I know. You are great therapy for me. I ALWAYS laugh!

Blog Archive