Thursday, January 31, 2008

Bouncing off the Walls!

This past weekend was quite interesting. Luke seemed to be relatively healthy all day Saturday. No sniffle. No cough. But Saturday night, right around midnight of course, he starts this horrid coughing that sounds like a seal barking. I went to check on him and the poor boy looked like he could barely get a good breath, and he was weazing too! I brought him to our room and tried to calm him down. He had worked himself up so bad that it was making it harder for him to catch a breath. I sat in the rocking chair and held him upright all night to see if that would help him sleep. Joel got the humidifier out and that seemed to help a little bit (although we were told later that it doesn't really help at all). Joel thought he may have pnuemonia. I said no way he could have that. He had no runny nose, no drainage, no fever, nothing. Just this terrible cough.
On Sunday morning, the fever came. Joel and I probably got a total of two hours sleep that night. I was scheduled to sing in church that morning and tried to call to let some one know that I didn't think I could make it. Joel decided he would take Luke to the ER just to make sure all is well. Katheryn and I went on to church. After church, we took lunch to the ER (where they were still waiting for xrays) and all had a picnic on a hospital bed. One doctor mentioned that he could have Croup. Made sense. Joel asked if it were possible for him to have both. The answer was "No. It is extremely rare that a child have croup and pneumonia at the same time."
Well, guess what. We beat those odds and Luke had a steriod treatment for croup and was put on antibiotics for pnuemonia. By the time we got home, he was exhausted and took a good nap for us.
But Monday was a different story! I could not keep that boy in one place! He literally was bouncing of the walls. He threw the cusions off the couch three times, pulled books off the shelf, and started eating play-dough. He didn't even nap that day!! I was a little worried about him until someone asked if he had had a steriod treatment. Apparently, the doctors neglected to let me know that kids usually have a hyper reaction to this type of treatment. I don't know what more was exhausting. Staying up all night Saturday night or trying to keep up with Luke on Monday! All is well now. I think we are a little stir crazy and ready to venture out of the house though.

2 comments:

The Quinn Report said...

Oh My Goodness, that is TERRIBLE. Is there anything you guys need? Is he feeling better? You should have called me so I could have done something to help you out. Geezzzzz..........will give you a ring to check on you all tomorrow.

Katie said...

Poor Luke! That is the WORST. Not only did you have to deal with no sleep/sick kid/ER, now you have a hyper one? THat is NOT FAIR! I hope he gets back to normal ASAP!

Blog Archive