Sunday, January 02, 2011

Consider Yourself Loved



I seem to have been in some sort of "writer's block" recently. Not that I consider myself to be a writer, but I just haven't had it in me recently to take a few moments and produce a post. We have been a bit busy lately. You know...with moving 4 kids, 2 cars, a dog, a fish, and mint plant 1681 miles to the west coast right before Christmas. We did it though! We made it and set up shop (tree and all) just in time to open gifts from "Santa", grandparents, and cousins!!

I can say that one of the hardest parts of being a military family is spending the holidays away from family, especially when you call home and all your family members are trying to talk to you over a speaker phone to wish you a Merry Christmas. The sound from the other end is total chaos, but a chaos that is expected during the Holiday Season.

But no matter the distance, the love that we have for our family still is strong. Sometimes, I believe the distance has made it so. I feel it shows more in how the children feel about family. The kids love getting gifts from their extended family. It isn't only that they got a present, but that it came from someone special. It is sometimes the only way they can be connected to some of them. Joel and I have done our best at talking to the kids about family, showing them pictures, and keeping them updated on what is going on. But receiving a gift from an aunt, uncle, cousin, or grandparent brings an excitement that can't be produced by a gift from mom or dad.

Take Katheryn for example. This year one aunt gave her a purse filled with goodies. I only saw the purse for a split second before she ran off to examine the contents and fill it with other personal items. But no matter what, she will remember who gave her that purse and everything that was in it. Just today she was writing with a pencil I had never seen. I asked her where she got it and she replied, "Aunt Jennifer." (Kind of sassy I might add.) She will guard that pencil and never forget the one who gave it to her.

Claire is the same way. Any gift given to her by a family member (other than the ones she lives with) will be exalted to a place of honor. Almost as if it were sacred. Her cousin gave her a book with "Bendables". She played with it for HOURS. I am not kidding. If I were a betting gal, I would have bet she was pretending to actually be playing with her cousin, Sky.

Luke and Ellen don't quite have the sentiment that Katheryn and Claire do, but they do have the love for their family that I can't describe or even understand. Ellen in her prayers always...ALWAYS mentions Papa and today she asked about Unka Tumus (Uncle Thomas).
Luke's twin cousin, Maja (born 4 days apart but look nothing alike), holds a very special place in his heart as the last 4 years they grew close living nearby in San Antonio.

I am thankful that these kids are full of love. Some days more than others, but they love their family and their friends (that's a whole other post). So, if you are family, extended or military, consider yourself loved.

Christmas Pajamas given by Mimi


4 comments:

Vicki said...

Precious! So glad the old Angela came baack and didn't leave any of those babies at the zoo!

Katie said...

LOVE THOSE JAMMIES! How ADORABLE! Great post!

Elizabeth said...

Oh my GOODNESS, how I love those pajamas! I am so happy you are back to blogging and that I keep up with you guys!

Rhonda Harris said...

The pajamas are too cute. I think Claire looks the most like you did. Of course, they are all cute kids. You are truly blessed with a beautiful family.

Blog Archive